The Rotorua Fire Brigade was called to attend the fire on Calder Rd, shortly after 10am today. The cause of the fire is believed to be a heat gun, used to remove paint from the exterior of the house. The occupants of the house weren't home at the time, but contractors raised the alarm and used a garden hose to contain it the best they could. The fire burnt out the roof void above a garage and upstairs bedroom.
Senior Station Officer Jim Prescott said Lake Okareka Rural Fire Force and Rotorua Fire Brigade brought the fire under control in six to eight minutes. "Quite a lot of damage was done," he said. "All it takes is a small hole between boards, a few spider webs and a bit of dust."
Nobody was injured in the fire.
Mr Prescott said the best method for people using a heat gun was to have a hose available and the ability to break into the wall cavity. "People always worry about a small hole in their wall, but as we've seen today it can create a lot of damage."